Monday, October 19, 2009

Victorian Nipple Piercing

From the Archives:

That got your attention, right?

I've been off doing research for a Victorian short story I'm writing. I luuvvvv doing research. This is one of the books I read.
Tell me what you think:

A history of make-up by Maggie Angeloglou

My review
rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really liked this book - it was interesting as well as helpful for research. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because some of the more ... controversial? ... statements had no citations to back them up.

For example:
Did you know Victorian women engaged in nipple piercing?
There is a quote which backs this up, saying how pleasurable it is, from what is described as a primary source magazine, but the name of said magazine is not given (nor the date of the issue).

Maybe it's just me, but for something that shocking, I would have at least given the name and date of the source material - in a footnote if nothing else.

It is difficult to believe that a middle-class, Victorian lady (who was, I believe, the target audience for such magazines) would do such a thing, or that a publisher would encourage her so to do.

Maybe a Victorian prostitute would, but why would a Victorian prostitute be writing in to a magazine?

I would love to get my hands on whatever the primary source material was. If anyone has ever come across references to nipple-piercing during Victorian times, please let me know.


It would be fun to use in a story, but I'm afraid the reader would throw the book against the wall, shouting No Way!

2 comments:

  1. http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/nipple_piercing


    This site actually gives reference to the magazine talked bout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And again, no title given for said magazine!
    Argh.

    I really think this is just the same incorrect quote being passed around. Especially as that site says the writer is a "modest". I assume they meant modiste (person who produces womens fanshions) but if they can't get that right...

    Thanks for helping with the research! :)

    ReplyDelete