Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wilde and Uncensored

Have you read this yet?
A new uncensored edition of Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray has been released.

What I find particularly amusing is the reasoning behind the censoring in the first place - the editor "Decid[ed] that the novel as it stood contained "a number of things which an innocent woman would make an exception to"..."

While it really annoys me that women are being used as an excuse by men, it also makes me laugh. Because I imagine if anyone had actually asked a woman about it, the conversation would have gone something like this:

Male Editor:  Would you be willing to read this piece of slash fiction?

Woman: Slash? I love slash! Gimme!

Male Editor: Dammit. You're supposed to be repulsed. The homoerotic subtext is right out in the open.

Woman: Yes! Yes, yes, yes! Hand it over NOW!

Male Editor: Well, no, I'm sorry. You'll have to wait until something called The Internet removes the editor-as-gatekeeper model and makes slash available to all.

Woman: Dammit.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard about this; very interesting. LOL at your hypothetical scenario.

    ReplyDelete